Cal Klausner, CPA/ABV, CFE
Cal Klausner is the Founder and Director of Tax and Accounting Services for the public accounting firm of Klausner & Company, P.C. (Founded 1978).
Mr. Klausner services the accounting and tax needs of a variety of businesses located in the metropolitan Washington, D.C. area, nationally and internationally. These include law firms, medical practices, architects, public relations firms, nonprofit organizations, government contractors, parking management companies, real estate developers and consultants. Mr. Klausner's practice places special emphasis on providing a wide range of management advisory services to commercial businesses, professional corporations and individuals. He has worked with startup entities and guided them into regional companies and eventual sale to public entities. He also provides financial and tax counseling for a variety of prominent high net-worth individuals.
Areas of concentration
- Complex tax planning for individuals and businesses
- Financial statement reviews and compilations
- Preparation of individual and business and estate tax returns
- Business valuations
- Tax counseling and IRS audits
- Fraud investigations
- Bankruptcy investigations
- Commercial damage analysis
- Bachelor of Science, California State University, Hayward, CA.
Profession Credentials and Affiliations
- Certified Public Accountant in Maryland, 1974 and Virginia, 1999.
- Annually meets licensing requirements
- Accredited in Business Valuation. American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, November 2000
- Certified Fraud Examiner. Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, Austin, Texas, 1998
- Registered Investment Advisor Representative. State of Maryland, 1999
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants
- Washington Chapter of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants
Public Appearances and Radio Interviews
- National appearance on Tom Brokaw's 7:00 p.m. Nightly News. He was interviewed on Alternative Minimum Tax issues, April 2001.
- Cal Klausner was featured in The Washington Business Journal, Small Business Growth Strategies edition, on March 16, 2001.
- Interviewed on Washington D.C.'s WTOP News Radio concerning Capital Gains and Taxation, April 2001.
- Interviewed on Washington D.C.'s WTOP News Radio concerning Tax Ramifications of Telecommuting, January 2002.
- Interviewed on Washington D.C.'s WTOP News Radio on taxation issues relating to the Iraq war for spouses of active service members, April 2003.
- Mr. Klausner continues to be interviewed each year on WTOP on tax issues and financial planning in April and July.
- Quoted in the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal on articles involving Large Capital Gain tax bills.
- In July of 2004 and 2005, Mr. Klausner was bestowed with the "Top CPA in Maryland" award, sponsored by the Baltimore Smart CEO publication.
- In 2009, Mr. Klausner was presented with a Life Time Achievement award by the Washington Metropolitan Chapter of Certified Fraud Examiners for his contributions to the fraud examination community.
- Finally Some Education Tax Breaks for the Wealthy, The Fairfax Bar Journal, April 2002
- Qualified Tuition Plans:One of the Best Tax Breaks Available to the Wealthy, March 2002.
- Detecting Possible Fraud in your Client's Business-Sherlock Holmes or Inspector Closeau?, The Fairfax Bar Journal, February 2002.
- Fraud Prevention and Detection - Hire Experts, Maryland State Bar Association Bar Bulletin, October 2001.
- Criminal Intent: Forensic Accountants Help Creditors Find Evidence of Bankruptcy Fraud, Legal Times, Corporate Counsel Section, March 26, 2001.
- Protect Your Firm: Tips on Fraud Prevention and Detection, The Fairfax Bar Journal, January 2001.
Lectures and Seminars
- U.S. Taxation of Non-Residents, InterAmerican Bank
Washington, DC, September, 2007
- Valuing an Architectural Practice, American Institute of Architects
Washington, DC, August, 2007
- Forensic Accounting Matrimonial Litigation-Essentials for the Practitioners Tool Kit, Montgomery County Maryland Bar
Rockville, MD, April, 2004
- Fraud 101: Recipes for Cooking the Books, Women's Bar Association (WBA)
Washington, D.C., September, 2003
- Valuing A Closely Held Business, Law Firm of Sherman, Meehan, Curtin & Ain
Washington, D.C., March 2002
- Due Diligence: A Forensic Accountant's View, Maryland Bar Association
Washington, D.C., December 2001
- Valuing A Closely Held Business, Tax Audits & Litigation Committee of the District of Columbia Bar
Washington, D.C., September 2001